Rail AVI Systems
In the next 35 years, the EU seeks to shift 50% of road freight—as well as a majority of passengers travelling to medium-distance destinations—to rail and waterways.
Consequently, Rail companies are looking to manage their assets much more efficiently.
Previously, time-consuming manual processes have been used to track and manage vehicle inventory and maintenance activities. Workers with walkie-talkies would have to search for individual vehicles, a process requiring manual labour and at high risk of error.
With new GS1 standards for rail vehicle visibility being introduced, and RFID providing the capability, we believe there is another way.
Intelligently designed RFID allows for passive, sharable and economical tracking of rail assets.
- Each vehicle’s GIAI (Global Individual Asset Identifier) is encoded to RFID tags mounted on opposite corners of the vehicle.
- RFID-enabled Automatic Vehicle Identification (AVI) readers identify each tagged vehicle, simultaneously linking the GIAI with travel direction, axle count, speed, length and orientation.
- The GS1-standard EPC enables rail operators, infrastructure companies and cargo owners to share information about the movement of rail vehicles and entire trains as they travel from country to country.
It means your fleet data is secure, identifiable and sharable – allowing for better visibility through all levels of the supply chain.
Asset and component management
Companies are repeatedly harmed by lack of targeted preventative maintenance, with breakdowns negatively impacting safety and efficiency. Manufacturing, maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) processes have become more complex and global than ever, with materials being sourced from all parts of the world.
At Coriel, we understand the goals of fleet managers to achieve a higher level of safe, reliable and uninterrupted services for companies, customers and passengers.
RFID-enabled vehicle identification can enhance many aspects of maintenance activities:
- Enable condition-based maintenance that preserves parts and components at optimal times.
- Deliver improved analysis and proof in case of safety-relevant incidents.
- Identify faults more easily.
- Achieve more focused recall handling, with the identification of affected materials.
- Reduce inventory levels due to accurate and exact product tracking.
- Enable a collaborative forecasting and replenishment (CPFR) process.
- Protect against counterfeit MRO items.
- Validate easily the execution of work, resulting in fewer settlement disputes.
- Provide easier warranty management due to common unambiguous maintenance history for MRO items.
Reading RFID tags in a rail environment has unique challenges, and Coriel have extensive experience working to meet these.
Read about our solution developed for one of the largest international rail partners, Alstom.
Coriel have further developed a range of off-the-shelf products:
- The TagStar Pro hand-held RFID encoder. Write without headaches. Read More
- The TrakStar-100. A truly powerful RFID reader. Read More